From:
Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:43:45 -0500
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 05:41:16 -0500, joseph marty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Have you checked in the BIOS to make sure it's set for 4X?  With some Via chipsets on some mobos, a third party card with 4X capabilities will not be activated without some registry tweak.  Hopefully, that registry tweak stuff predates your mobo.
>
>>System specs:
>>
>>L7VMM mobo-VIA chipset, 512DDR, Win XP Pro, Athlon 1600 (1.4Gh), 60 & 40 HD's, DVD, CD burner.  Tried PNY Verto GF3 Ti 200 & currently running the ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 128mb board.
>>
>>Looking in advanced display settings, the ATI "Smartgart" window shows the AGP settings from "Off to 4X".  Current AGP is set to 2X, fast write-off.  I tried moving the slider to 4X but it won't "take"- back to 2X upon reboot.
>>
>>I've been around the block quite a few times with respect to drivers.  ATI's newest & greatest as well as VIA's Hyperion set (4.45).
>>
>>One user tip I got was to load the ATI drivers except to use the VIA GART at the end- I wonder if someone here could tell me how to do that?  I wrote back to the other fellow but no answer.  I have both ATI's & VIA's driver sets downloaded & on my hard drive.  I even unzipped the VIA set so that I could have a look at each component separately.  Not sure how to launch only the GART- which is it?
>>
>>This is a way-too-common problem from what I'm reading with VIA's chipsets.  Is there anyone here who can help?

>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>

Hi & thanks for the reply,

No, it's not as simple as that.  My BIOS doesn't even have an option to choose speed- only aperature.  One weird thing I noticed by going to the manual (supplied by emachine) is that it has a description of the only setting I can change- PCI or AGP- as follows:

Init Display First- options are "PCI slot" or "AGP"- description: "use this
option to specify whether your graphics adapter is installed in one of the
PCI slots or is integrated on the motherboard".  What does that make my AGP
slot?  It's neither according to this description- not PCI, not onboard.  I
currently have it set to "AGP".

I also took another close look at my motherboard regarding the jumper settings for CMOS, ATA speed, & BIOS flash.  I could be wrong, but there appears to only be one of that set with any sort of jumper on it.  Belarc reports my ATA133 correctly but the jumper that's supposed to dictate that is not there.  The same for the CMOS- w/o any jumper it's set to "clear".  I'm wondering if this could possibly be a "fly in the ointment"?  I've made changes to the aperature setting which are still correctly set the next time I go into the BIOS so some things are sticking- do you or anyone else know more about exactly what CMOS does- could this be affecting the AGP setting?  Should I set the "init display" to PCI even though it's an AGP slot?

Lots of questions & I hope- lots of answers here,

Lynn Tracy

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com