From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:08:38 -0800
No, the regular P4 does not support mulit or dual processors. The Xeon is
the dual monitor P4 much like the MP is the dual processor Athalon. There
is, in fact, both a P3 and a P4 Xeon. There is also different flavors of
the P4 Xeon.

MP for mulit-processor = 4 plus processors  ( I don't think it is limited
to just 8)
available speeds 2GHz, 1.90GHz, 1.60GHz, 1.50GHz, 1.40GHz
Chipset ServerWorks GC-HE
OEM custom chip sets
Features  Hyper-Threading technology
  Integrated Three-Level cache architecture
  Intel® NetBurst™ microarchitecture   Rapid Execution Engine
  Internet Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2)

Cache Level 1: Execution Trace cache
Level 2: 512KB or 256KB Advanced Transfer cache
Level 3: 2MB, 1MB or 512KB
RAM Dual Channel DDR
I/O Bandwidth PCI-X, up to 4.8 GB/sec
System Bus Frequency 400 MHz Front Side Bus

AND

DP for dual processor enabled
Available speeds 2.80GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.40GHz, 2GHz
Server Chipset Intel® E7501 Chipset
Workstation Chipset Intel® E7505 Chipset
Features  Dual-processor enabled
  Hyper-Threading Technology
  Intel® NetBurst™ microarchitecture
  Rapid Execution Engine
  Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2)
  Advanced dynamic execution

Cache Level 1: Execution Trace cache
Level 2: 512KB Advanced Transfer cache
RAM Dual Channel DDR
I/O Bandwidth Up to 4.3 GB/sec.
System Bus Frequency 533 MHz System Bus

There is also lots of new server multi -processors on their way including
the 64 bit Itanium.
All of these makes thing confusing ....It's impossible to keep up with all
the changes!

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>Can someone explain to me the difference between the Pentium 4 and the
>Xeon version?
>I know that the Xeon is designed to support multiple processors, but
>can't the regular P4 do that too? I do remember something about the Xeon
>supporting up to 8 processors, but I could be wrong - my memory is
>sometimes volatile. Any technical input would be appreciated. I will be
>teaching an assembly language class next semester and I want to brush up
>on the latest processor developments.
>Peter

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml