From:
Tom Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:33:56 -0400
I, too, have been a bit confused by the Paleo Prohibition of New World
foods. The reasoning I get - that we did not evolve eating these foods. But
of course that means that we evolved eating only equatorial African foods
and most of what everyone on this list eats is tabu.

From an evolutionary standpoint, we would have to go back a bit further than
the paleolithic period to figure out what it was that we really ate as we
were "evolving." as long as 40,000 years ago humans had already spread
throughout most of the world, with the exception of the New World. Humans
were already all across Asia and the Pacific islands as far as Australia.

Those folks were eating a lot of food that had nothing to do with our
evolution. If our bodies have evolved to be nourished by a variety of foods,
the it seems reasonable to conclude that New World foods would be OK. The
problems modern humans face seem more closely related to agriculture than to
a variety of foods.

Tom Barber