CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 16:56:55 -0400

Carl:

You also must remember that diabetes creates a never ending change of
how much of this (insulin, etc) and how much of that. Unfortunately,
that is just the nature of the disease.

It makes plenty of sense to me that you are requiring less insulin after
being on a gf diet for a while. When you are diabetic and have
undiagnosed celiac disease it plays havoc not only on the intestinal
tract but on the blood sugar. Because of the malabsorption problem, your
system is stressed and requires more insulin.

As far as an increase insulin usage later, that is still possible
because another factor unrelated to the celiac disease could create that
need. (Let's hope not!)

Glad you are doing so well - keep up the good work!

Pam Nylander
celiac and mother of a dm'er/celiac

P.S. Another reference to meds/celiac is that for 18 years I was taking
a pretty high dose of Synthroid for hypothyroidism. After being on a
celiac diet for 8 years the dosage has been reduced. That malabsorption
thing again - even the docs said that.