BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:11:13 -0500
Times were tough when we lived in Maine.  But the memory of a stew slow
cooking all through a winter day on the woodstove has stayed with me in
greater detail than any of the hardness.

-jc

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 08:19  PM, Deb Bledsoe wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:24:05 EDT, Met History <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> [snip] avoiding resinous soft woods and elm.   A good size
>> farmhouse in New England burned up to thirty-five cords of wood per
>> year."
>>
>> What's wrong with elm?     Christopher
>
> Elm is a soft wood with a high water content, and doesn't burn well in
> the
> stove...  a portion of the heat produced is wasted up the flue, energy
> locked up in the steam driven off the wood during combustion. We always
> called it water elm, and saved it for bonfires. It takes a big bed of
> coals
> to induce it to burn.
>
> Osage orange burns hot and tarry, and pops huge chunks, so it's only
> good
> for airtight stoves, but if you can get up on the roof to clean the
> chimney
> regularly, there's not much better.
>
> Back "home" in southern Ohio, we always figured a cord of good wood per
> room per year. At the lake in upper Michigan, John Mcconnell laid up no
> less than five per, plus his "stove wood", a variety of choice stuff
> split
> small for his wood burning kitchen range.
>
> http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/for/for35/for35.htm
>
> deb "burned hedge for years" bledsoe
>
> --

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890