BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:09:31 -0500
A Google search on "horizontal oil drilling" gets one a lot of information,
one item stating that horizontal drilling technology  (may also be called
"directional drilling") was 'perfected in Alberta in the 1980's and 90's'
(from Nickle's Daily Oil Bulletin, a publication of the Nickle Energy group,
a Canadian company located in Alberta...).

Another item dated 12/8/97 about the technology coming to Kansas (evidently
not as technologically advanced as those in Alberta) says:

For more than a hundred years, traditional oil wells have been drilled
vertically, straight down into the ground. When these wells reach an
oil-bearing rock formation, oil drains into the well from the surrounding
rock.

A horizontal well begins like a traditional vertical well, at least until it
nears the oil-bearing rock bed. At that point, sophisticated technology is
used to turn the drill bit and drive the well horizontally. The drill then
chews its way laterally along the targeted rock layer.

Traditional vertical wells drain oil from a single hole poked through a rock
layer. But horizontal wells encounter several hundred, maybe several
thousand, feet of a rock bed, allowing them to drain substantially more oil
from the rock.

One item made mention of using an existing vertical well casing, going down
to some depth, cutting hole in the side of the casing, and heading out
through that hole at some angle.

Apparently they use gyros to guide the drill bit but don't ask me how it
works.

Not my forte'.  BSME

P.S.  One of the items found makes reference to investment opportunities in
the technology.  It reminds me of a auto body shop manager friend of mine
who hit some hard times down in Houston and got into making sales calls on
Bubbas, trying to get them to invest in the directional drilling technology.
I think that was about 5 years ago.  He didn't get rich.