BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 08:05:44 -0500
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:44:01 EST, Ken Follett wrote
>  It was suggested to me by a compatriot that I make an
> attempt to educate the customer. Something of a risk involved in
> that. Regardless, I'm trying to put my best, and my team's best,
> forward and hoping for consideration and flexibility in return.
>
> Thanks,
> ][<en
>
> Recommendations as to selecting a General Contractor for an historic
> preservation project.

As I read this letter a couple of times, it made me think about just how
challenging it is for those of us who must do battle on the business side of
this industry, above and beyond the things we do within our technical
expertise and experience to actually execute our organizations' performance.

While all of Ken's arguments on the ideal basis for selecting a GC are
articulated in a logical and persuasive manner, I wonder how many will
consider them, and how many will simply shrug them off.

For one thing, Ken, you are asking them to do a lot of work. How many will be
willing? Worse yet, you are asking them to think. How many are willing and
how many of them are able?

Clearly, those of us who survive and thrive in this industry have managed to
get someone to consider what we do, and when enough of them react favorably
to our abilities and past efforts, they give us a shot at the next
opportunity, and the basis of an ongoing business is established. One cannot
be in business for very long without learning to appreciate the people who
are willing to think and work along with you.

On the other hand, there are those who are unable or unwilling to look beyond
a few buzzwords or rote procedures which may actually be meaningless. I have
seen some become stuck on things they don't really understand and sometimes
don't even like, but they are sticking with it because it's familiar. It may
be misery, but it's their misery; they can hold it in their hands, cherish
it, and watch it play itself out to a set of minimal expectations, which are
seldom exceeded or disappointed.

Change is dangerous. The fear of the unknown is more compelling than the
promise of achieving greater results. Change means sticking one's neck out,
and not everyone has the stomach for that kind of risk. You have to know what
you are doing, for one thing. They will stick with the familiar misery, or at
least mediocrity.

In the real world, doing a better job is not always what counts. Merit is not
always the highest priority. Perceptions can proclaim reality irrelevant. The
package and presentation become more important than the actual product or
service.

This is not all bad news for the competent contractor or manufacturer
attempting to educate and do business based on merit, however. Just look at
how much of the work being done today is to correct what has been done poorly
or inappropriately in the past, and take comfort in the endless stream of
future opportunity being generated by those who cannot or will not think or
work outside the box today.

Good luck, Ken!

Mike E.