From:
"Robert E. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:22:10 -0400
I just got through reading the discussion of 2 meter antennas and recently
took part in a net where a fellow ham asked essentially the same
question.  He wanted to run 25 watts into an 11 db gain 2 meter antenna in
his bedroom.

Someone computed the ERP at just under 300 watts.

Well I decided it would be helpful to review the FCC's bulletin on
protection from harmful RF radiation for the station operator and anyone in
the surrounding area.  It would take too loong to summarize the article and
this Web site would bounce the message if it excedes the allowed limit.

Basically, aside from ones own safety, consideration must be given to
family members, neighbors, and people walking by.  Included in the
requirement are calculations and retention of a copy of those calculations
as proof that you made the required measurements.

I found that my fife working at her computer up stairs is in danger if I
head one beam due East and that any child in the day care center just west
of us is in danger if they stand in certain areas of their yard.

There is or at least there was the last time I checked, an on-line site
which will do the calculations for you.

If you haven't done and kept those calculations, let me know and I will dig
for the URL.  No need to do so if you are OK>

73

Bob Martin