From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:49:36 -0800
I don't know if this will be of any assistance but I have assembled a travel
station which consists of an Icom 706, a Santec power supply and an LDG
AT-11MP.  I will be adding the balun to the AT-11 soon.  I also carry a
speaker, mic and paddle for the Icom along with Braille and print
documentation and all of this is packed carefully in foam in a rolling
backpack.  My xyl helped me measure and cut the foam inserts so everything
is pretty much custom fitted.  I can carry wire and could even include the
portable vertical antenna I built but I choose to put these in a suitcase so
wires and other objects such as tubing don't cause problems.

We recently flew to Hawaii in October and I took this station with me.  We
had no problem at security at all with it.  We also have a local ham who is
a screener and she says there is no problem with radio gear in carry on
baggage as long as there is nothing there which could be used as a weapon.
That is why I put antennas in suitcases.  I figure wire and such makes a
pretty lousy target for thieves.

I hope this is helpful and very 73 to all.
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450