From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:40:47 -0600
With the new regulations requiring un-locked checked baggage, I would try to
handle most electronic equipment as carry-on.

I have flown several times since 911 with an HT and roll-up J pole antenna,
plus a mini-disk recorder, and a pile of patch cords, but not since these
new regulations came into play last week.

If you have to take a magnet mount and whip, I suggest packing it into the
checked suitcase, with the radios in your carry-on bag. This way, the
security guys don't stop you while they think of creative ways for you to
use the antenna as a weapon.

For safety purposes, plainly label the antenna and perhaps the other
equipment as "Amateur Radio Equipment," and include a copy of your license
in each bag which contains any part of the equipment or antenna.

Since they are boasting of bag searches, it may help you for them to see a
license from another federal agency. Of course, you should always have a
copy of your license with you whenever you are traveling and plan to
operate.

Occasionally, I have had to turn on the HT long enough for someone to see
the display. I generally have it set to pop up on a local FM radio station
frequency. One thing for certain, keep it off the aircraft band.

I am about to compile a short newsletter for the American Council of the
Blind Radio Amateurs, and I would like to hear from you after you travel
with the equipment. That would make a good story for the newsletter.

Mike Duke, K5XU