Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 19:59:17 -0400
Brian

We have a blind operator VE3ODT with a TS-570 who knows how to make this rig
sing.

There is no audible way to find power outpt but there is a solution

To the right of the keypad there are four buttons that are one above the
other
The top one is Mic Gain
The second is power

If you push one you get either a low frequency tone or a high tone. High
means on and low off. Never leave these in the on position, like never or
all h--- will happen

Push power the second one down and push to get the high frquwncy tone. It is
now on

Turn the Multi/CH knob clovkwise for several turns. Now you know it is at
100 watts

One clidk counterclockwise reduces power 5 watts. If you want 70 wattws turn
counterclockwise 6 clicks.

Push the Power button to get the low tone and ensure it is off

For Mic Gain do the same with the top button. After it is on turning
Multi/CH clockwise several turns it reads 100. Our operator finds 62 about
right. One click on this counts one. Turn it counterclockwise 38 clicks to
get to 62.  Go back to the Mic button the top one to the right of the keypad
and push to turn this off eg the low frequency tone

In spite of the above complexities we have found this rig to be real
friendly. It does have frequency and receive S number announcements and most
buttopns give you and audio tone or morse code. When you learn this rig and
its convex, concave, bumpy and large versus small buttons, one finger on the
face tells you where you are. We like the rig for the blind.

Good luck

Further questions are welcome.

George Fanjoy VE3PEB
Chairman Canadian National Institute for the BLind Amateur Radio Program
Toronto 416 207 0797