Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:59:34 -0000
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about trading my ts850 in for a ts2000 recently.  Nothing
radically wrong with the 850 but its starting to tire and there is an
expensive sounding crackle as I turn the main encoder.  When I call my local
service depot they suck in the breath and pound signs start appearing.

Well anyway everytime I look at Yaeusu or Icom I come back to the issue
about which rigs have speech output.  So we come back to Kenwood.

It struck me that most of the rigs by the main makers are drivable from a
pc.  Now I'm assuming wildly here that this simply means that there is a two
way communication between the PC and the radio via a serial port.  Can this
be done with a dumb terminal?  If I learned the codes could I drive a rig
with the terminal program in say a braille note or the function on a braille
and speak?   Pulsedata were discussing releasing a developers kit so you
could write apps for the braillenote.  Not sure if this happened but if the
comms thing is simply squirting a command or request at the rig and
receiving a string back then in principle it would be possible to us a
braille and squeak instead of the built in synthetic h options.  Ok its
expensive if you haven't got a B&s but everyone seems to  have one of these
gismos these days.

Anyone tried this or am I barking up the wrong tree.

- Liam g4uwp