BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"If it ain't a pleasure ... it ain't a poem." <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Spencer A. Leineweber" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 14:59:40 -0800
Query: "Would it be reasonable to assume that the use of hollow copper
doors, windows and casings was done for lack of native wood, or the
expense of importing the wood along with the copper?"

I don't think the use of "copper only" was due to a lack of native wood
or importation costs but a desire to be perceived as fireproof. Most of
the commercial area of downtown/Chinatown was wiped out by fire twice,
1886 and 1900. The architect, HL Kerr did more commercial buildings
between 1910 and 1925 than everyone else COMBINED. He was a consummate
salesman.

"all Hawaii had to offer were giant flying cockroaches"

I have not seen the copper detail in Japan...but I did see plenty of
flying cockroaches, felt right at home.

Spencer