AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:27:46 -0500
From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Media Access Newsletter will change its name to WebMedia News.  We were
informed that our first name selection already exists.  I had a feeling it
wasn't unique enough to work.

WebMedia News is a newsletter in search of an identity.  WebMedia will
regularly provide news about upcoming Internet media that either focuses on
education or on issues for people with disabilities.  When possible, we
will point to events that touch on both.  We are also concerned to
encourage that media on the web be provided in formats that promote access
by people with different learning preferences and by people with various
disabilities.  WebMedia is produced by EASI (Equal Access to Software and
Information) and along with listing Internet multimedia events it will
highlight our uses of media on the Internet.

WebMedia News Feb. 1 20000
Sponsored by EASI

This issue highlights presentations by Steve Gilbert on Technology and
learning and two of EASI's weekly webcasts.

The TLT Group (Teaching Learning and Technology Group) has begun presenting
audio and narrated PowerPoint presentation on issues relating to teaching,
learning and technology.
The following links have PowerPoint slides from 3 recent presentations:

1 "Making Ubiquitous Computing Work (& Worthwhile)"
http://www.tltgroup.org/Share/SHUUbiquitousComputingRev1-7-00_files/frame.htm

2 "Connected Education and Collaborative Change:
Improving Teaching and Learning with Technology"

http://www.tltgroup.org/Share/SHUUbiquitousComputingRev1-7-00_files/frame.htm

3 "Teaching, Learning, and Technology:  From Confusion to Control?"
http://www.tltgroup.org/Share/UMary1-4-00_files/frame.htm

EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information) has weekly audio webcasts.
These are posted on the web for a week and then moved to the online webcast
archive for several months.

4 Dr. Scadden from the NSF interviews Dr. Radke a marine biologist about
tools to assist scientists with disabilities to compete and succeed.
Feb. 3 posted by 9 EST   http://www.rit.edu/~easi

5 Interview with Tom McNulty a librarian at NYU.  Tom has authored 2 books
on making libraries accessible to students with disabilities.
Feb. 10 posted by 9 EST http://www.rit.edu/~easi

** All of EASI's presentations will be transcribed and/or captioned.

If you want to join a distribution list for WebMedia News, send e-mail to
[log in to unmask] saying
sub itd-jnl (and your first and last name).
This is NOT a discussion list.  It is to distribute both WebMedia News and
the e-journal: Information Technology and Disabilities, a referreed
semi-anual journal.

EASI welcomes information on upcoming Internet media events.  Send
information to Norman Coombs, [log in to unmask]

** Announcement:
EASI will be providing a 4-week online workshop on universal web designIt
demonstrates how to design appealing web pages that are fully accessible to
web users with disabilities. . beginning Feb. 21.  CEUs from the Rochester
Institute of Technology are available.  See a syllabus and registration
information at http://www.rit.edu/~easi/workshop.htm

EASI's online workshop on accessible Web design,
Barrier-free Web Design, begins Feb. 22.
Making your Web pages accessible is the right thing to do,
and it is the law.  For information, go to
http://www.rit.edu/~easi and click on workshops.