From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:03:38 -0800
On 10 Nov 2002, at 0:00, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

> I have a laptop running WinXP. This laptop is my work computer and it is
> part of a domain at the office. When I bring the laptop home, I often
> want to share files with my desktop computer at home which is part of a
> home network and it has a (different) Workgroup ID. How can I get these
> two 'puters to talk to one another?
>
> I have tried to change the name of my desktop workgroup name to be the
> same as my laptop's domain name, but they do not see each other (one is
> still a domain the other still a workgroup). I can't add my desktop to my
> workplace domain since it is not part of that and there is no way to
> authenticate. If I change my laptop settings so that I remove myself from
> the domain and add myself to the same workgroup as my desktop, then when I
> get back to my office, I can no longer log into the workplace domain (not
> a good thing...).
>
> I would have thought that there was some easy way to log in as one user
> and log into the domain (at work) or take the laptop home and log in as
> another user and be part of a different workgroup, but if there is, it
> isn't obvious to me how to do it.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael

  Although you probably will not be able to get these machines to appear in
each other's "Network Neighborhood" view, you should still be able to mount
shared folders from one to the other via the NET USE command, specifying the
machine's IP address rather than its name.

  HOWEVER, be aware that your work machine is in a domain for reasons
revolving around, for instance, trust of and by other computers at work.
Sharing files between it and your home machine MAY be a violation of your
employer's policy on computer use, since you may be effectively forcing
every machine on your employer's network to trust your personal home machine
-- or, equally possible, exporting restricted company data to a non-company
machine.
  Some employers don't have a problem with either of these; some consider
them grounds for termination, or worse.  Make sure you know what policy
applies to your case.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml