Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:00:35 +0900
"Balzer, Ben" wrote:

> G'day mate,
> a jumbuck is a sheep. (Aboriginal origin).

Darn, thought it was a wild animal. Range fed anyway. Guess
that explains the troopers in the next stanza.

> Other common Strine (Aussie lingo): chook= chicken, dunny= toilet, Sheila= a
> lady.
> Contrary to Monty Python, men are called blokes not Bruces. Struth= God's
> truth. Fair dinkum= sincere, straightforward and truthful.

Is this lingo still in daily use? Or only to confuse
tourists? I had an Aussie roommate for a while, and while he
was sometimes hard to understand, he didn't use anything
like that. Nothing like the Scots I have met for
incomprehensible English.

> If you like Sci Fi, grab Norstrilia by Cordwainer Smith

Love Cordwainer, and not just for the cool name. Have not
read that one though, I don't think. Heilein used Aussie
lingo in some of his books too. The Moon is a Harsh
Mistress. Guess he figured lots of Aussies would be
transported to lunar penal colonies, for some reason. Wonder
why? ;-)

> Struth I can't believe the spellchecker doesn't have G'day or strine or
> dunny or struth or dinkum in it. That Bill Gates can't be fair dinkum! He
> must need to have his computer upgraded.

He should get a Mac. Oh, he already has, if rumor is to be
believed. And Steve Jobs has a PC on his desk too, rumor has
it. It is all part of their longstanding plot to geekify the world.

Sorry for the total lack of Paleo content in this post. Lets
see. I ate an armadillo today. Well, actually I didn't, but
I wanted to.