From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:34:46 EDT
Hi Rachel,

It's interesting that Cordain's Paleo Diet recommens the following
percentages :  Protein: 19-35%  Carbs:  22-40%   Fat: 28-47%
He seems to have arbitrarily dropped the upper range of fat consumption by
11%. (???)

Regarding coconut oil -- one of Cordain's main points is that saturated fat
should be limited as much as possible -- this is why he condemns coconut oil.

When attempting the lean meat Cordain diet, I did use lots of olive oil and
nuts because I felt rather deprived at having to face ultra-lean meats at
each meal.  I did lose weight initially on his regime (lower calories), but
then stalled (too much fruit).  For me, olive oil and nuts are simply not as
satiating (or enjoyable) as say a fatty piece of lamb or steak.  I also do
not get the same energy from olive oil and nuts as I do from animal fats.  I
actually found myself wanting to binge on the skin I pulled off the chicken
to comply with Cordain's recommendations.  However, those that cannot stand
the taste of fatty meats would likely greatly enjoy Cordain's plan.  Any
thoughts as to why some people cannot stand fatty meats and others crave
them?  I craving fatty meats a learned response -- ie if one ate lean meat
long enough, would fatty meats taste terrible?

Adrienne