From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:33:08 -0400
On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Charlotte Williams wrote:

> I agree with Todd and Olivia. The Life Without Bread
> approach is a nice moderate way to get back on the
> bandwagon. I also just regularly vary my diet between
> strict and moderate in order to make this lifestyle
> easier (able to eat at restaurants, fast food, etc).
> There are certain foods I cannot be moderate with:
> grains, sugar, etc. But there are certain foods that I
> can: dairy, oils

Not long ago we discussed the "gentle introduction to paleo" for
people reluctant to try it.  LWB is paleo-inspired, but it's not
paleo.  Nevertheless, I think it's a good way to get people
interested; the book does have a chapter on the evolutionary
aspect of diet.  And it has a lot of information on Dr. Lutz's
research with different kinds of patients.  The program itself is
as simple as can be: 72g/day of carbs.  Get them from popcorn or
potato chips if you want.  We might look askance at such an
approach, but I think that a person who follows the LWB plan and
chooses junk carbs is still better off than one who rejects the
whole lowcarb idea because it initally seems too restrictive or
complicated.  Once a person is "in" and getting some results, I
think it's easier to introduce the other ideas.  And I agree that
the Eades' "level" is another way to accomplish the same thing.

Todd Moody