BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:24:27 -0400

If you think paint peeling from concrete is an expensive maintenance
chore, you might want to follow through on this idea to give yourself
some perspective on the matter....

> b) stripping all
> the paint off, exposing the "natural" concrete (which appears
> to be a nice sand color).  What's wrong with that?  Stains?
> Dirt?  Any low-maintenance ideas (but don't suggest marrying
> a painter).

Plain concrete would be fine. An occasional gentle power wash with mild
detergent will take care of any stains and dirt that will accumulate;
but get someone that knows what they are doing...don't let them
hydro-mine the floor. Especially don't let someone try to talk you into
removing the paint with a power washer.

You probably won't be able to get all the paint film off everywhere
without some erosion of the concrete floor; what will the surface look
like then? You'll probably have some paint left somewhere...the surface
finish won't be as uniform as you would wish it to be.

Consider a fluid-applied acrylic elastomeric coating. I've been very
pleased with its performance on my concrete front porch...tough,
flexible, durable in color, long-wearing, easily renewed. You want to be
certain that your prep work is flawless, but once you get it down tight,
it'll stay for good. Unless you are an abuser; then nothing is safe.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.   "Have nothing in your house that
Raleigh Historic              you do not know to be useful
Districts Commission          or believe to be beautiful."
[log in to unmask]                         -- William Morris
919/890-3678