From:
Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 05:08:20 -0600
Tommy,
I've seen similar problems, but in a business environment, not a home setup.
It may be one of two problems, proxy settings within your browser or DNS
settings on your NIC.  Neither of these are normally changed settings.

Double-check the proxy settings in your browser to make sure they are
correct - and match from one machine to another.  In IE, go to Tools,
Internet Options, Connections tab, Lan Settings button.  I believe that
these should all be cleared for your set up, but your ISP may require
something special input in these fields.  I don't use Netscape so I can't
give you the path in their program.

Another option could be bad DNS settings on your TCP/IP installation.  The
network will work for any specific address, but not for anything that uses a
name.  For example, www.yahoo.com resolves to an IP of 64.58.76.178.  If you
go to Start, Run, type COMMAND, type PING WWW.YAHOO.COM, and you get replies
that time out, but if you PING 64.58.76.178 and get successful replies, then
you may well have DNS problems.  Check the DNS settings on the TCP/IP
properties of your NIC and match then to a working system.
HTH,
Ron Jobe