From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:54:17 -0500
Jun Qian -

Thanks for the suggestion.

May I ask for a little clarification?

Looking at my note, I may not have made clear that both
cd-rom's are scsi cd-rom's.  (The 19160 card has three
separate scsi connectors --- ultra-160 plus two legacy
connectors. The Cheetah drive is connected to the
ultra-160 connector, the Plextor is connected to the
internal legacy connector, and the IBM is connected to
the external legacy connector.)  So the only non-scsi
storage device is the floppy drive.

Having said that (speaking from memory), the abit-ka7
bios has choices like "boot from cd-rom", "boot from
scsi", "boot from hdd-0", "boot from other", and so on.

So, given that my cd-roms are scsi, how do I follow your
suggestion to boot from cd-rom first?  Does "boot from
cd-rom" really mean "boot from ide cd-rom"?

I like your idea about wiping the hard drive.  The *only*
thing I can think of that is different from when we first
installed w2k is that during the original install, the
hard drive wasn't bootable (it was completely new).
So maybe having the bootable cd-rom, and the bootable
hard-drive both on scsi is confusing the w2k install.

I've never wiped a scsi drive from the scsi bios.  Could
you give me a brief description of what to expect, and
what I'll need to do?

I'll try this stuff out tonight.

Thanks again.

                                                   -f

Ultra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You might already tried this, but just in case.
>
> first in BIOS, make sure you set the PC boot first from CD, next from SCSI.
>
> and during post, enter SCSI BIOS, and perform a format there, this will make
> sure HDD is empty (and also act as a simple HDD test).
>
> now boot from win2k CD and perform installation, after first reboot, enter
> BIOS again, and change the PC to boot from SCSI first.
>
> Good luck
>
> Jun Qian

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews