From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:23:36 +1300
G'day folks,

My first problem is that I don't  understand what a Mass Storage
Controller is !!
I've done my best to research, but it seems to have frazzled my poor
brain.

Basic System is .......
ASUS A7V133 mobo.
Duron 800
256 RAM
2x HDDs : 20 Gig Primary Master, formatted as C:  (W98SE, nothing else)
                                                      formatted as D:
(reserved for Linux)
                  40 Gig Primary Slave,   installed, but unformatted.

My problem started when installing a Sound Blaster Live Value card.
On a new clean install of W98SE, - nothing I could think of could even
get a squeak out of it. I'm fairly sure its' been a good install, - mobo
jumpers, BIOS, and Drivers from the CD. (and yes, I did remember to plug
the speakers in)
Inserting an audio CD shows me lovely little bar graphs, but the sound
of silence.

I next guessed that the problem was an Interupt / DMA conflict.
Device Manager showed a yellow question mark under
-Other Devices,
---PCI Mass Storage Controller
---- no drivers Code 28
------ no conflicts.

Then I changed to, and found,
Device Manager / view devices by connection.
- PCI bus
-- Creative SB Live series
--- SB16 emulation is linked to the conflict in PCI Mass Storage
Controller.

A search of the MS Help files only found reference to W2000 servers and
similar stuff.
A search of the Asus site only found similar references to servers.
A re-read of the Asus manual showed a little light, (don't you hate it
when manuals don't have index's ?
I then suspected that it was the RAID0 capability of my mobo.that was
the cause of the problem, so I triple checked the jumpers to make sure
they were set to default ATA100, or whatever. They are, and nothing I
can find in BIOS seems to indicate anything else.

Please excuse my use of my native language but, " I'm a bit buggered
now"

Kevin,
New Zealand.