From:
Kevin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 21:56:55 +1200
Hi Marilyn

You can do this using Direct Cable Connection, which is included in Windows--every version from 95 onwards except Windows NT, AFAIK.
A straight-through cable is wrong. You need a null-modem cable if using the serial port. The parallel port (printer port) would be faster though. For that you need a parallel cross-over cable, sometimes called a Fastlynx or Laplink cable. It has a male DB25 connector at both ends.

Look under Windows Help (Start Menu) Index, for Direct Cable Connection and you'll find info on setting it up. It can be frustrating getting it going though. In my experience you have to have Client for Microsoft Networks and NetBEUI on both computers to make it happen. Other setup changes may be necessary too. If you get stuck, I can send you a step-by-step checklist (Email me direct). I was going to post it to this
list but my computer crashed just as I was finishing it, so I renegged.

Good luck
---
KJ

Marilyn Wilson wrote:

> I have an older Dell laptop and a new Gateway laptop.  I just want to transfer my data for the old to the new using a cable from serial port to serial port.  I know this will be slow but that's not an issue.  I think I need a straight-through cable - right? but what else do I have to set up on each computer.  Please give me rather detailed instructions or point me to a site that does as I have never done this before.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marilyn

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml