From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:01:17 +1000
 >The USDA figures for wild atlantic salmon can be viewed via:
 >http://makeashorterlink.com/?G36424853
it doesnt square with my figures. did u get them? this has to be followed up
to work out what is right.

 >For simplicity I'll work with the median values - 17.5 grams of >PUFA
equates to 12.5% of caloric intake from fats.
it makes quite a difference between taking 20 grams as 10% or 17.5 grams as
12.5%.  i doubt there's any possibility of pinning a percentage down to a
range closer than 10-15%.

 >So, total fat intake is 17.5/(12.5/100) or 140 grams.
 >140 grams of fat is 1260 kcal.
 >1260 kcal represents 42% of caloric intake from fats.
i think it unlikely you would eat 140 grams only in a 3,000 calorie diet.
you would need 3,000 in a cold climate and/or fair amount of activity. in
absence of carbs you would be looking for more fat than that. in so far as
any of my figures implied this configuration i wouldn't stand by it as a
*desired* mix.

 >Fair assessment?
sea mammals are preferred ahead of fish in polar diets. the PUFA being
closer to 10% in blubber [rather than 20-25% in fish] a high blubber diet
can deliver 20 grams of PUFA at 200 grams of fat.  Chukchi schoolchildren
are given a slab of seal blubber every day or two in their school lunch
program to mimic the traditional diet.

 >Since you are a strong advocate of very low carb diets (1)
the question of low carb is not quite the same as the issue of paleo.  the
first is a question of how to have the best diet, the second is what did our
ancestors eat.

 >That gives an overall nutrient profile of:
 >140 grams, 1260 kcal, 42% of calories from fats
 >400 grams, 1600 kcal, 53% of calories from protein
  >35 grams,  140 kcal,  5% of calories from carbs.
are u saying the issue of protein toxicity is the only problem with this
breakdown?

 >That equates to 900 kcal from fat, 2400 kcal from protein. >Ouch!
no, it equates to about 600 calories from meat, if the meat in question was
25% protein.

andrew