Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:50:08 +0900
> A very sage observation, I am afraid. Isn't overpopulation and unsustainable
> economic pressures(going forward a couple of generations to who knows how
> many BILLION world population) a major part of the equation??  How do we
> reconcile our Paleolithic preferences with Neolithic reality;  is it a
> matter of let us eat "correctly" and hope that the "masses" buy up the bad
> food ?? Sorry about the morose query.

Ho HO! He said "sage"!

I am hopeful. Population growth seems to be losing steam, as
more and more countries enter the slow/zero/negative growth
zones. Most of Europe is already close to negative numbers.
Japan too. The US would be nearly stable but for large
immigration, and even most of the third world has much
slower growth now than in the past. I guess the economic and
political problems of the 21st century will revolve on how
to deal with declining populations rather than rising.

For the poor there is no question that for the near future
at least current diet  types have to be continued. I think
that a paleo outlook could go a long way toward improving
the quality of that diet though. Halfway stations like the
Weston Price concepts could make an enourmous difference in
health, even within the grain and beans diet. Simply eating
the occasional egg and a little more fat would help a lot of
people on the worst diets. The very poor simply need more
calories, and grain is still the best way to provide
calories.

Hopefully, as poorer countries develop the people will be
able to avoid the worst mistakes made in the west. Visit a
developing country like Thailand today, and you will see
that in spite of the filth, it is still greatly better than
western cities were at a similar stage. The air is dirty,
but nothing like the killer fogs of our old industrial cities,
simply because they are able to skip the coal burning stage
of industrial development. The drinking water there is
fairly sanitary, and the rivers still have fish in them. The
worst mistakes are there for people to see, and avoid.

Like I said, I am hopeful.