From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:18:01 -0700
>i'd happily be enlightened on this matter. which tubers are we talking
>about? and what is the calendar procession of berry ripening? and which
>fruits?

In southern Idaho, where I live, virtually every type fruit is grown with
the exclusion of those considered sub-tropical or tropical (like oranges,
bananas). We have peaches, apples, pears, apricots, plums, cherries, you
name it. Fruit crops appear with regularity between late May and early
October. The progression is probably something like cherries, plums,
apricots, pears, apples (I know I've missed a few). Various berries are
available from May through August. Some of the fruits and berries are
native to this area. Many, of course, are imports.

In central Idaho, where the mountain passes don't even open until late May
or early June, there is an abundance of berries: blackberries, blueberries,
boysenberries, strawberries, gooseberries - all wild. I have encountered
all of these whilst backpacking in the Sawtooth mountains (early June
through late  August). I have actually seen berry plants sticking up out of
a snowbank by a stream. You'd be amazed at how some of these plants have
adapted to less than ideal conditions. When the snows melt the plants go
into overdrive and continue like that until fall.

As far as tubers are concerned, there are a number of plants that grow wild
in both the lower elevations as well as in the mountains. I understand the
Native American tribes in this area made extensive use of the Camas plant
(flowers, stalks, tubers) which grows virtually everywhere (we even have an
area they call the Camas prairie because of the abundance of Camas). I'm
afraid I cannot give you the names of others as I am not a botanist. I
recognize the plants when I see them, but can't name them. However, I have
been to numerous presentations of early Idaho history and pre-history where
dozens of wild plants - some now extinct for this area - were named as
probable or actual food sources for early Native Americans in Idaho. (About
8000 - 10,000 years ago). And yes, many of them were tuberous. They used a
plant in its entirety, just as they did with game.

>I am guessing that south of the glacial edge, seasons were only a
>few months shorter than now. I would be happy to see
>some evidence on this either way.

I've been told that the current climate in Southern Idaho approximates the
climate of the savannah's during the last glaciation - warm and bone dry
during the spring-summer months, frozen and bone dry during the fall-winter
months. And the climate of Central Idaho, where 40-50 below zero is common
during the winter months, would have approximated the areas that bordered
the glaciers (the transition zones). The winters last about 8-9 months and
spring-summer-fall about 3-4.

I have no clue about northern Illinois, though.