From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:25:18 -0400
Keith wrote:

>My question is, can you point me to any evidence either way as to whether
>any seriously overweight people are stuck with their obesity, no matter
>what?

We damn well better not be!  I weigh somewhere around 440; I lost
100 pounds on lowcarb (though not paleo) a couple of years ago,
but during a serious and debilitating depression I ate carbs,
carbs, carbs, and gained it all back.  Now I'm basically paleo
(with a tiny bit of dairy every once in a while), and I've lost
about 25 pounds.  I'm counting calories (and carbs) religiously,
I'm losing at a nice clip, and *hope-hope-hope* I'll be able to
stay the course for the loooooooong haul.

It *is* much, much, much harder for obese folks.  On the upside,
we tend to lose weight faster than thinner folks.  On the
downside, we tend to be extraordinarily insulin resistant; our
weight makes exercise difficult, if not downright painful; and
knowing how far we have to go before we (a) see any significant
results---even after 100 pounds, some people didn't really notice
my progress---and (b) hit our goal.

Which is not to discourage you from talking to your office mate.
The biggest problem will be the fact that he's probably tried a
whole host of dietary approaches without much success, and will
be polite but dismissive of anyone giving him advice about weight
loss.  My best advice there is to become friendly with this guy,
and one day over lunch, as he sees you chow down on a slab of
beef with no bread or potatoes, talk about your "strange eating
plan" and how you feel so much better with it.  If he inquires
further, mention that many folks lose a lot of weight with it,
but don't make it personal with him---don't suggest that he try
it or anything.  In other words, entice him slowly into dialogue,
but try to make him take the first approach.

.:. Craig