From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:03:09 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/02 2:34:54 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>The fact that I ended up gaining weight on a very low-protein, high-fat
>
>diet suggests that DIT is simply not happening in my body.

Been out reading about DIT and BAT somemore -- unfortunately BAT is more
likely to be active in athletic adults, those exposed to the cold a lot and
perhaps in the elderly. lost of controversy about how active BAT is in
adults. But literature seems to breaking that it's still a viable factor in
adults. BAT appears to be least active and present in obese people. Ucoupling
proteins play a big part and some people seem to have one; others two. BTW,
fit people tend to better fat burners-- more active enzymes necessary to fat
metabolism. If you think in evolutionary terms, fat gain would have conferred
advantages in surviving winter or non-plentiful food times. Insulin and
leptin resistance would both promote excess weight and thus confer an
advantage -- actually so would cholesterol production and hyperglycemia (a
nti-freeze). Generally metabolic slowdown would be part of that picture.
Stress also appears to play a big part as does sleep -- loss of sleep
definitely related to increased insulin resistance, etc.  How to get the body
out of this survival mode though -- lower carbs, higher fat, exercise, etc.
part of the picture -- but for me, not the whole story!!

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>