Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:02:29 -0400
 Adrienne Smith posted:
>>>Do you have any evidence that the hormones in feedlot beef survive cooking
>>and stomach acids?

My reply:
I clipped this from an article on the benefits of grassfed meat my husband
wrote, which appeared in the July 2001 issue of Oxygen Women's Fitness. If
you want to see the entire article, e-mail my privately with your request
and be patient. I don't have a lot of time for e-mail.

"Conventionally raised animals are given substantial amounts of growth
promoting steroids, primarily estrogen type steroids.  Meat from these
animals can carry substantial residues of these hormones--enough to make you
fail a urine steroid test, or perhaps grow unwanted breast tissue!  This is
no joke.

In 1994 an athlete who failed a drug test blamed commercial meat for the
drugs in his urine. To test his assertion, a study was performed by feeding
eight men meat from chickens that had been given USDA approved amounts of
the steroid methenolone heptanoate.  The researchers found that ³Fifty
percent of the samples collected 24 hours after consumption of the
intramuscularly dosed chickens were confirmed positive.  Hence,  eating meat
containing small amounts of injected hormone may constitute a serious
liability to the athlete.²  [Clin Chem 40 (11Pt1): 2084-7.]    Grass fed
animals are not given these hormones."

Eating grassfed meat also reduces your risk of getting e-coli contaminated
meat, provides CLA (congugated linolenic acid), more vitamins, minerals,
antioxidants, and flavor. It's also more ecological to raise animals this
way.

Back to work,

Rachel Albert-Matesz,
The Healthy Cooking Coach

PS. Anyone here using an I-Mac computer or other Macintosh computer with
Appleworks for your word procession program? When I take material created in
my word processing program and paste it into e-mail for the digest, strange
characters appear. Quote marks and apostrophes turn into small letters, the
number 9 appears in odd places. Any idea how and where to change a setting
on my computer to remove these odd characters.  E-mail me privately please.