From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 18:39:38 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/02 11:30:06 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Jack Goldberg reported doing some testing in his clinic and
>
>finding that a large number of people eating 50g a day of carbs showed
>
>no ketosis in the urine test, but were positive when a blood test was done.

Todd,

Even when one is on a normal balanced diet including lots of carbs one
obtains about 10% of their energy needs through ketones. My question is will
the blood test you're refering to measure this level of background ketones or
only more significant levels?

I'm also upping my fat intake in relation to protein --  making great use of
coconut oil and coconut milk -- yummy stuff. While not exactly paleo, making
smoothies with coconut milk is very useful in providing a rich source of fat
calories and whey protein powder allows me to add the proportion of protein
that I want to get under 12%. Also found that adding butter is a delicious
way to add fat to almost anything. I have been consulting my Julia Child
recipe books -- lots of her stuff -- souffles, sauces, mousse's etc. are
almost all fat - have to leave or substitute stevia for the sugar of course.
I have felt definitely warmer after my fattier meals, especially those
involving coconut oil.  Anyone else feel warmth?

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>