From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:25:49 EDT
Get ready to be surprised.  I suggest you turn to page 102-103 in The Paleo
Diet (written by Cordain) which reads in part as follows:  "Not only is the
total amount of fat higher in commonly consumed fatty meats -- such as
hamburger, T-bone steak, hot dogs, and lamb chops -- than that found in fish
and game meat, but the types of fat are also quite different.  Because most
commercially available beef has been feedlot fattened (mainly with corn and
sorghum), it contains low levels of omega 3 and high levels of omega 6 fats.
This is the wrong mix.  When eaten in excess, omega 6 fats are harmful, while
omega 3 fats are greatly beneficial.  The average Western diet is burdened by
high levels of omega 6 fats -- which can promote the developmen of heart
disease in many ways.  The meats, fish, and seafood you'll be eating on the
Paleo Diet are low in fat and high in protein, and they contain the correct
balance of omega 3 and 6 fats."

This quote from The Paleo Diet is in line with the article I quoted.  The
specific paragraph being:  "Generally, our modern diets, especially in the
past 100 years, have changed to where we're consuming excess amounts of
omega-6 fat. Omega-6 is found in high levels in many of the oil seed crops
that we consume," Watkins says. "It's also found in the meat of the livestock
that eat these grains, as this study shows."

Because Watkins conducted the study referenced in the article WITH Cordain,
and because I have read The Paleo Diet by Cordain, I correctly attributed the
notion that feed-lot meat is high in Omega 6 to Cordain.

Adrienne