From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 02:36:29 EDT
In a message dated 10/6/02 6:47:50 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I'm trying to stick to actual foods, rather than having to
>
>eat globs of isolated fat, for the purposes of this experiment.

Todd,

Atkins actually suggests some foods for his  fat-fast:
macademia nuts
cream cheese or brie
whipped cream and sugar free syrup
tuna or chicken salad (1/3 cup tuna with 2 tb of mayo)
full fat sour cream with sugar free syrup
fatty pate
2 oz beef chuck cooked in 2 tb olive oil - don't drain
 eggs with  bacon
two egg yolks with 1 tb mayo

Atkins of course has people first start on 1000 calories a day of 90% fat,
10% protein for a week then moves them up to 1200 calories -- but if one just
eats to satiety -- the calories shouldn't matter -- problem is with the small
'mass' of food -- probably takes some time to adjust to small amount of
volume.

Was out looking at DIT/BAT stuff (it's a hot research area, especially since
leptin appears to induce BAT thermogenesis) and my suspicion that temperature
might play a role is confirmed:

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2000 Aug;279(2):E293-300

Effect of high-fat diet, surrounding temperature, and enterostatin on
uncoupling protein gene expression.

Rippe C, Berger K, Boiers C, Ricquier D, Erlanson-Albertsson C.

Section for Molecular Signaling, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology,
University of Lund, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden. [log in to unmask]

Nonshivering thermogenesis induced in brown adipose tissue (BAT) during
high-fat feeding is mediated through uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1). UCP2 is a
recently identified homologue found in many tissues. To determine the role of
UCP1 and UCP2 in thermoregulation and energy balance, we investigated the
long-term effect of high-fat feeding on mRNA levels in mice at two different
ambient temperatures. We also treated mice with the anorectic peptide
enterostatin and compared mRNA levels in BAT, white adipose tissue (WAT),
stomach, and duodenum. Here, we report that high-fat feeding at 23 degrees C
increased UCP1 and UCP2 levels in BAT four- and threefold, respectively, and
increased UCP2 levels fourfold in WAT. However, at 29 degrees C, UCP1
decreased, whereas UCP2 remained unchanged in BAT and increased twofold in
WAT. Enterostatin increased UCP1 and decreased UCP2 mRNA in BAT. In stomach
and duodenum, high-fat feeding decreased UCP2 mRNA, whereas enterostatin
increased it. Our results suggest that the regulation of uncoupling protein
mRNA levels by high-fat feeding is dependent on ambient temperature and that
enterostatin is able to modulate it.
see article at http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/279/2/E293

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">