From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 03:28:41 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/02 4:00:53 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Btw (in an other context) I've heared several warnings not to eat such
>less
>energy while breastfeeding a child.
>The 800 kcal are hardly enough to meet your own mandatory *carbohydrate*
>requirements of 500 kcal (take half, when in ketosis).

Not to worry Amadeus -- she is 17 years, a genius who will probably go to
Johns Hopkins, Berkeley or Stanford next fall.

>That's still 1600 kcal and a reduction diet if you consider that the normal
>energy requirements of a normal sized woman are around 2000 kcal.

I am in nutrition and have read all the books about how many calories I'm
supposed to be able to eat to just maintain my basal metabolism --
unfortunately my body hasn't read the books. My body seems to defy all the
rules -- I would gain weight (now) on 1600 calories a day -- especially if I
eat carbohydrates.

>That's astonishing low -1500 kcal for gaining weight.

Not really. I've talked to a lot of other women who gained weight on relat
ively few calories. In fact, after 9/11 there was a joke going around the
internet suggesting that the US send menopausal women to Afghanistan to get
the Taliban, etc. because among other benefits we didn't even need to pack
food -- we don't seem to need it any more!! All kidding aside, something in
our metabolisms seems to slow way, way down.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>