From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:44:36 -0600
Darcey Blue wrote:

> invest in one. Any recomendations?is cordains the best?

Paleolithic Prescription is a fascinating book, but the nutritional
recommendations were compromised and IMHO cannot be
considered as paleo.

> I'm having a hard time figuring how eat paleo when my partner probably will
> not be willing to give up such things as cheese, tortillas, soda and sugar....

You can get skilled at fixing dual-purpose meals.  Veggie stews on pasta
for your partner, in a dish for you; tofu for partner, hamburger patty for you.
Not a big deal once you get practical about implementation.

> I'm also wondering how many people are strict and never indulge in a non
> paleo item now and again?
>  I did make a concious effort to exclude the yougurt from my fruit smoothie
> today.

Coconut milk is excellent in smoothies.

>  i also wonder what you all think of vegetarian protein products. i am not a
> vegetarian, but my partner is nearly, and doesn't want to eat most meat
> products, so often we have tofu or tempeh in our meals. I suppose they
> wouldn't really be considered paleo...but i'd like to hear some opinons on
> it anyway.

Soy is definitely not paleo, a big allergy item for some people, a big
digestion problem for many others.  Even worse than tofu or tempeh
(at least they are traditional foods) are the TVP, soy bars,
soy drinks, etc.  And nearly all soy products are GMO.

> How do you stay disciplined enough to avoid the sweets, dairy products and
> grains?

For most people, it just takes two or three weeks of rigorous discipline, then
you lose the taste for them.  The first few days are the hardest.  Stick to your
guns and don't cheat even a little during that time.  Many people
on this list have had such remarkable health improvements that they are not
the least bit tempted to cheat.  Others have successfully arrived at a balance
where the small, occasional, controlled cheat does not cause them problems.
And some suffer from real addictions to the cheat foods; if they eat a little,
they blow out completely, and it takes another 2-3 weeks of discipline to
get back.

Be sure to have paleo foods available; take them with you.  Being hungry
when nothing but junk food is available makes it especially difficult to resist.
Good luck!

    Lynnet