From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:53:51 -0500
Tom Bridgeland wrote on 30 September:

> Fish do not have much more mercury
> now than fish hundreds of years ago,
> according to an article I read.
> Can't blame everything on humans.

Tom

(1) Do you have a reference to the article; Id be interested in pursuing
this topic as I don't want to get it wrong.

(2)  I have always understood that the levels of mercury in the oceans had
risen sharply this century and a prime source was from coal burning power
plants.  See these two summaries of the situation

http://www.ems.org/mercury/power_plants.html

and

http://www.ems.org/mercury/fish.html

The fact remains that the Australian Fisheries Industry Development
Council recommends a limit of 400g a week of oily fish.  Follow this link
to the .pdf version of their colour booklet containing this recommendation.

http://www.frdc.com.au/bookshop/health.pdf

That all adds up to a pretty good argument, but Im open to contrary views.

Keith