From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:02:27 +1000
> The diet of the inland aborigines was about 33%
> carbohydrate.
we have no idea what it was exactly, because no one has studied it, except
for the one lone study done in 1965. this would be atypical, since yams grow
only in the desert [occupied by few aboriginal tribes] and are avaliable
only 6 monthds of the year.

>The nearly plantless diets of the Inuit and the coastal
> aborigines are the exception, not the rule.  They are outliers,
> in relation to the hunter-gatherer norm.
I'm hoping to find out more about which other native peoples Cordain
studied. do u have any names handy? but his assessment of aboriginal diet is
like a 9th grader's study.
the easiest way to look at it is this: if you are Caucasian, your ancestors
ate hardly any carbohydrates. because there wasnt much of them to eat: no
grains, legumes or tubers. there was fruit for a month or two [ie berries]
and nuts.  i agree though that the story would be very different in tropical
climes, where tropical fruit may ripen twice a year, maybe some more.

there were also different waves of celtic tribes moving west, the earlier
they moved the later their exposure to grains. i think this mixture is
reflected people's different metabolisms today. the easiest way to work out
how much carbohydrates to eat is: if u need to eat within 6 hours after
eating a substantial meal, you've eaten too many carbs.  [need, not want].

andrew