C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:12:31 -0400
That's a tough one, Asdis.  If you tell all in your dating profile, you lose
out, but if you don't, you still lose.

I've met a few guys through the web, but without telling them I'm disabled
first.  After telling them, a few bowed out and three said it was OK.  I'm
not still seeing any of them, but that was my choice in two of the cases,
and the third guy couldn't handle my disability.   I think it helped that
I'm independent and not really looking for anyone at this point.  It's not
worth all the aggravation to me to go through the dating scene when I've got
lots of friends and go out at least twice a week with them.

I also am starting a long-distance relationship (very tentative at this
point) with an old friend, whom I've known for over 25 years now.  We dated
(almost got engaged in fact) when I was a grad student and he was a law
student, but circumstances were against us at the time.  Now that he's
divorced, we're sort of trying again.  I was engaged to be married during
college back in the 1970s, but he died in a motorcycle crash; that took me
years to get over.

Dates aren't hard for me to get; it's the time and effort in doing them that
gets me.  I can't go out all night and expect to be bright and alert the
next day any more. Guess I'm gettin' older, eh?

Kat