BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:34:49 -0500
From: "Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 10:05 AM
Subject: "Odor-No-No" for your pet

> How did the animal urine odor removal go?

eric, thanks for the de-skunking formula -- I am just getting into the
baking soda phase...
will save the deskunking recipe for the wilderness commonly known as ohio,
and use some of the components in further testing!

here's the report to date:

vinegar:  worse than the pet odor and the pet odor is still there as well!
             verdict:  yukkk....

tomato juice: ditto and a mess too  ;)

nature's miracle stain and odor remover:  ditto vinegar above except no
smell of its own

rinse 'n' vac odor remover:  passable performance, heavy floral odor that
was pleasant at first, but now seems nauseating, but the pet odor is
somewhat diminished.... two applications were needed -- toss-up, but I'll
take fake roses over piss....

bleach and water:  smells like the vet's office now, but it is not a BAD
smell -- just sort of, well, disinfected smelling...   beats hell out of the
smell of urine for sure....
of course, can't be used on areas that will discolor, like couch legs, etc,
and it did lighten the wood floors a shade in the area tested... two
applications were needed...thank you domestic goddess and daughter for this
approach

interim verdict: bleach solution on wood, rinse 'n vac enzyme odor remover
on anything that that can't be bleached (warning, don't use this product
full strength without benefit of a gas mask!! )

NOW, phase two, test baking soda, and in a different spot, peroxide,  on
areas previously untreated, and put a layer of baking soda on previously
treated areas to see if that will knock down some of the residual smell...

also may try activated charcoal (fish filter type) on one area just to see
how it does, although it would not be cost effective for the large expanses
I need to cover...

may try a couple bags of charcoal briquettes as well, and plan on scrubbing
one area with spic 'n span just for the heck of it ...

and yes, I did leave one spot alone, for a control   ;)
next report in about a week, I'd say....

deb "the science lady, and thank you for asking"

ps.. thanks for all the plastering and calcimine information; it has proven
to be very helpful!