BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"I lift my leg and pee on the pantleg of authority." - dangling Callan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:19:23 -0400
my suggestion:

If the wall is holding its own and was built with mortar - repoint, if no
mortar - don't repoint.

Dry laid walls permit water to pass through, mortared walls need drainage.
Remember along with the water, soil, vegetation and roots also pass through.

If the wall is not in good shape, you need to investigate - trying to
discover why it is not in good shape. I believe that, more often than not,
the original construction was well built and usually something else causes
failures such as lack of repairs or poor repairs. Unless you have reason to
believe there were faults in the original construction, rebuild to match the
original.

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate