BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:23:02 -0400

Part of my parents friction had to do with my Dad's [1/2 Italian, 1/2
Castilian]
observation vis my mother's side [7/8 irish, 1/8 english]-
"My people were creating civilization while yours were painting themselves blue
and worshipping trees."
My mother delighted in pointing out the geographic proximity of Italy and
Africa and the Moorish thing in Spain.
She did read somewhere that Spanish names ending in z were originally Jewish
and that a reason for so many z ending names in the new world had to do with
the Jews losing so much during the Inquisition.
When she queried my Paternal-Grandfather about this he replied "Well, we never
did like rowboats", evidently at one point Spanish Jews were welcome to leave
with all they chose to carry in a rowboat or to convert to Catholicism.

And this is where I trump Ken.

So when my father who is 30 yrs older than I am, hooked up with a woman who is
15 yrs younger than me, 6 months after my mother passed- my brother and I were
unsurprised.  We told him we were surprised that he would marry a Jewish Woman
and he replied " What are you talking about we're jewish".

Oh yeah- my sister took my Mom's Silver and Dad got a big attitude, tempered by
my wife and my brother's wife telling him that of course she get's Mom's Silver
[ which was just bout the only thing he didn't throw away, except for the furs
which Mrs Drew got because she is a short as my Mom was and my sister is a
Vegetarian.}