Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:09:59 -0500
Bob's answer is fine for general searches and some info...
I have been thinking of telling the following for awhile...

I learned the hard way there are pitfalls in using the Crucial.com
memory comfigurator. I looked up part numbers on their site for
MY new MB, and then purchased the same number with lots of
hardware, (and the MB), on a third party site as one big purchase.
(The memory prices were nearly identical.)

It turns out that what you see on the WEB site is NOT the entire part
number... There is a sub number on the end that matches your exact MB
and THAT allows them to guarantee compatibility.

They replaced my RAM twice under the lifetime guarantee AND were very
nice about it...  (They know me... YMMV)
After the first replacement "failed" to work, we figured out what the problem
was and the second works perfect...

This was an absolutely repeatable problem. It was the RAM and the numbers,
(or lack of the entire number), and a MB that was just a little "cranky" about
a CERTAIN size RAM...  This may be a special case, or may happen a lot.
Lots of people have odd crashes and lots do not... This story "could be" the
tip of the IceBerg...

                                 Rick Glazier

From: "Bob Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
> In checking Crucial.com for compatibility of memory for the Asus P4B533
> motherboard, it shows that it will accept both PC2100, (266mhz), and
> PC2700, (333mhz), DDR ram.

> At 06:43 AM 11/20/2002, Andre Chiasson wrote:
> >I have a asus P4B533-v-l.  It seems that I need to install 266Mhz DDR
> >memory. But what happens if I install DDR 333Mhz ram?  Is it like installing
> >133Mhz SDRAM on a motherboard that is made for 100Mhz?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml