Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:24:33 +1300
Sounds to me like the WD programming hasn't taken for some reason.  Assuming
you've done everything else right, ie, jumpers, cables etc, just run FDisk
again and reformat the 20G drive.  You can either do it with the other drive
left in place or take Joseph's advice and set it up as a sole drive.

If I was doing it, being essentially lazy, I'd probably leave the drives as
they are.  You just need to watch that you're formatting the right drive.
But seeing as how one's a 10G and the other a 20G you can't go far wrong.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

------------------------------
From: "joseph marty" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] HD Losing Partition Info

> Try doing the slave drive with the floppy. Disconnect the master drive
from the data cable and unplug the power from it, change the slave to a
single master or solo as shown in the manual or from the web site. Now try
to format the slave drive.  You don't want to put any active partitions on
it since there will be no operating system.
-------------------------------

> >Is there any reason, other than being defective, that a HD will lose it's
> >partition info?
> >
> >I have, on the primary IDE channel,  a WD 10gig ATA-66 5400rpm jumpered
as
> >master, and a WD 20gig ATA-66 5400rpm jumpered as slave, and ,on the
> >secondary IDE channel, a CD-ROM jumpered as master and a CR-R/CR/RW
jumpered
> >as slave.
> >
> >The first setup I booted from floppy and ran FDISK and FORMAT.  The
second
> >setup I booted from floppy using WD Data Lifeguard Tools to partition and
> >format the slave drive.  The longest amount of time the 20gig HD keept
its
> >partition was a day and a half.
> >
> >Any advice will be appreciated.
> >
> >Chuck Cooley