Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:15:48 -0400
Paleogal wrote:

>I don't know, I think everyone should eat according to lean body mass and
>not total weight.  How much energy is used above lean body mass?  Why feed
>the fat too?  Oliva

Although fat cells are not as metabolically active as muscle cells, they
aren't inert either.  But the main thing is that we have to carry that
fat around with us, which increases metabolic load.  When we eat we are
not feeding one tissue rather than another (unfortunately).  Two people
with the same LBM and activity patterns will not use the same amount of
calories in a day if their body weight is very different.  But I agree
that two people with the same body weight but very different LBM will
also use different amounts of energy.  Which is why these "rules" are
only rough approximations.

Todd Moody