Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 04:14:38 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/02 4:22:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Body Heat by Mark Blumberg.
>> Above 12% protein, DIT is turned
>> off completely.
>
>This seems selective and restrictive.  Where did Blumberg get this magical
>number?  I just checked my dietpower and I dropped three pounds last week
>by
>increasing my protein and fat.  I went from 18% protein to 28% and from
>46%
>fat to 60% fat.  It appears, *for me*, that fats and protein cause a whoosh
>and not lower protein.....

It's not arbitrary -- it appears to based on actual metabolic studies -
probably balance studies. Actually balance studies according to Krause (Food,
Nutrition and Dietary Therapy) indicate that we only need .5 g/kg weight.
That would be only about 40 grams of protein per day for me - I tend to eat
almost that much per meal.

Looking at your numbers I would say that what caused your whoosh was the
lowering of the macronutrient not specified -- carbohydrates.

From what I can gather from the science that Blumberg cites is that if one
eats a high fat/low protein meal the body will burn off the unnecessary fat
and go searching for more food to meet its nutritional needs (protein, etc.).
 As long as one stays under the 12% margin (the 12% seems to in relation to a
whole days calories value) the body will waste the fat and go in search of
more food to meet it's needs. I'm not really advocating a particular diet
plan so much as trying to fit the information about DIT and BAT and their
relationship to protein levels into my views of optimal nutrition. Personally
too, I would like to figure out why I can't ever seem to lose weight!!

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>