Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Namaste, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:43:35 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/02 8:04:05 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Why hasn't the government tested it?

Actually a government sponsored 'multicenter' experiment is in the works!

>> The Atkins diet is shy on several vital nutrients, including the B vitamins

and vitamins A, C and D, antioxidants that slow the effects of aging, and

calcium. And, a diet rich in animal protein can draw calcium from the

bones, increasing the risk of osteoporosis and hip fractures.<<

Bush-hockey!! He demonstrates in his book that even at its most restrictive
stage -- induction- one gets at least the minimum amount (RDAs) of vitamins,
etc. An ongoing experiment on Atkins in North Carolina has specifically
looked for all the supposed negatives that the ADA claims will happen on the
plan and have thus far found none. I have lived on a variation of the Atkins
plan for about 3 years -- my blood lipids are extraordinary, my blood
pressure is low, my bones are great and my mental powers/mood do better on
ketones.

>>Dr. Denke concurred: "No matter what anyone tells you, it's calories that

count. >>

A recent study pitting Atkins against a low fat 1200 calorie a day diet using
obese adolescents found not only did the Atkins groups lose more weight, but
they ate an average of 1800 calories a day. A calorie is calorie is a calorie
is true in a test tube, but intervening factors such as insulin and glucagon
and metabolic rate/food interaction mess up that nice equation inside the
human body. Anecdotally, my husband recently started eating a la atkins and
from the sheer volume of rich food  he was eating I secretly feared he was
going to gain weight -- but no -- like atkins said, he lost weight. He feels
better too!!

Jane Brody is a fat-phobe -- she grew up fat, lost weight on a low fat, low
calorie diet and can't get past her own experience. Maybe it works for her,
but for many, the diet she recommends leads to  metabolic madness. She can
have her rice crackers and watery salad dressings; I'm sticking to steak and
salad with bleu cheese dressing!

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>