Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:17:01 -0700
> Wild rice technically is not rice, it is a different
> plant
> that happens to grow like rice in shallow water,

True, but it is still considered a grain.

"Wild rice is a nutritional grain that serves as a
substitute for potatoes or rice, and is used in a wide
variety of foods such as dressings, casseroles, soups,
salads, and desserts. In recent years, wild rice has
been used in breakfast cereals, and mixes for
pancakes, muffins, and cookies. Blends of wild rice
and long-grain regular rice (Oryza) that were
introduced in the early 1960s increased the popularity
of wild rice among consumers. Wild rice from natural
stands is popular among health-food enthusiasts."

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/wildrice.html

And

"wild rice, tall aquatic plant (Zizania aquatica) of
the family Gramineae (grass family), of a genus
separate from common rice (Oryza). Wild rice (called
also Canada rice, Indian rice, and water oats) is a
hardy annual with broad blades, reedy stems, and large
terminal panicles. "

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0852259.html

From what I've read it would also fit into the
category of "new world food".