From:
"J. S. Weihofen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:16:01 EDT

Dear Listmates,
       I received many replies to my question.  I learned that most of us are
confused about this problem.  There were only five people who said that the
magazine was to be believed without a doubt; one who was downright nasty and
implied that I was stupid (there's always one isn't there?)  and the majority
(25) responded that they were confused also. There was one who said she quit
taking the magazine because of the "strange articles."  Many said they were
thankful the question was brought up and were anxious for the summary.  Hope
they get something out of this...as I said, I'm still confused, which would
lead some to make snide remarks I suppose but at this point, who cares?
   What I want to point out is that I don't take the word of the good folks
on this list as "gospel"  but rather as a starting point. After all, who has
been there but other celiacs!  I am still confused because as I said, ...
each celiac web list, Gig site, Abigale Newman's list, the gf magazines,
etc., all seem to have done extensive research but they all differ on various
points. Too bad they can't find some way to collaborate their findings to
help us. As far as label reading, it too is confusing because they don't list
things the way they should and in layman's terms (hence the food labeling
bill fight) so you still have to call the manufacture and that is not always
productive as many of you know...some either don't know what you are talking
about or answer evasively or tell you that they can't guarantee gf status
(only to save themselves from lawsuits I think).
      As to the cottage cheese question, several explained to me that it is
the mono and diglycerides that are the problem and the mfg. must be contacted
for the source.  Thank you, I never found that info on any list.
     So the upshot is I still don't know who to believe. I saw the email from
the folks at the Gluten Free Living magazine wherein they state that if I
stick to 100% pure peanut butter that contains just peanuts, I'll be okay.
Well, I'd like to know, where do they shop? I have yet to find a peanut
butter that contains only peanuts! And if it did, it would not taste very
good....most contain peanuts, sugar, salt and oil, such as Skippy, which is
what I use. Others add ingredients that are questionable. I have looked  in
the only stores in  my   area...Walmart, Kmart, Eagle, Cub, Jewel, Dominick's
and the one and only health food store...there is no such thing as peanut
butter made with just peanuts.
     I would like to take this opportunity to thank the folks who make up the
gf lists and those at the magazines for all their work on research as well as
all the others who provide the lists for us to try and make it easier for all
of us to live this "lifestyle."   Also to all the great people on this list
who take the time to write with their ideas and/or suggestions,  thank you
every one!   Still confused but learning everyday!!    JS