EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy G Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:52:06 -0700
Lilly, this has been exactly my experience in five years of showing
people one-handed typing keyboards and methods.  The only people enthused
about the one-handed devices are the OTs, VR people, and other service
providers.   I did have one person prefer the Data Lux (small) keyboard
for the reach, but she continued to use the standard QWERTY layout.
There is a resistance to appearing "different" and people seem to prefer
being able to sit down and use a standard keyboard at any computer.

I have used the Unicorn one-handed typing tutor with several people,
which teaches one-handed method on QWERTY board.  They all seemed to like
it - the self-paced tutorial, even if it was designed for an 8-year old
girl and is DOS-based.  It's the only one I have found so far that
teaches true one-handed typing (and I learned about it from this list a
couple years ago).

Nancy Conklin, ATP
Center for Independence
Grand Junction, CO