Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:28:14 -0600

Hi

I had wanted to include this response as well but missed putting it in.
Again I thank you all so much for sharing what your knowledge.

Robin

Minnesota (please see response below)
***************
You pays your money and you takes your choice.  It is possible that
Citric Acid may be derived from grain, including wheat.  However it is
sold to very high purity standards and the major impurity is water. This
leaves so little room for any gluten type contamination that my wife
does not bother about the possibility.  If you are allergic, it is
possible (though unlikely) that there might be enough protein present to
trigger an allergic response.  Commercial separation of small molecules
from big ones is so easy that probability of contamination with those
big molecules is extreme small (and in any case would be quite obvious
and quickly lead to the withdrawal of the offending chemical).

You have to decide for yourself whether you go this way or not.  We're
in the UK and it's clear that food law is very different in the US (many
of our US friends are very envious of the availability and certainty we
have here).  The purity data I'm quoting are from the Chinese supplier's
web site from some years ago when the question first arose.  I don't
have the site any longer but it was quite easy to find using "Google"
and any person with a bit of science and a bit of chemistry or biology
can work out from the data given roughly what the maximum contamination
risk is.  I've also worked in the food industry and this gives me some
additional knowledge of how the purification processes are likely to
have been carried out.