From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:07:37 -0500

This health food store, located in Glastonbury and Avon, makes "Gluten Free
Rice and Potato Bread" (and breadcrumbs). These are made in their in-store
bakery in Glastonbury. On rare occasions, they will also label the packages
with a warning that they are made in a facility that also manufactures wheat
products.

On many visits to both stores, these products are displayed WITHOUT the
disclaimer. I spoke with the baker, asking if they are made in a dedicated
bakery, and was told that they take reasonable precautions, but they are
made in the regular bakery, and are made on the same days that regular
products are also being manufactured. I have spoken to the management at
both stores, requesting that the warning label be used on every package.
Apparently, they are not committed to this. I choose not to purchase any
product made under these circumstances, and believe that everyone with
celiac disease or wheat allergies have the right to full disclosure,
especially when the product is labeled "gluten free".